Skip to main content

The Cola War Is Not Over Yet!

 



Being a mother lets you try on different roles - teacher, BFF, confidante.... but also, clown, detective, commando...

 

I was outnumbered. One is to two. I could not match the agility of the opposing camp troops. Nonetheless, I was physically more powerful. Still, I could not afford to lower my guard around the two large cola drink bottles bought for the evening’s get together.

A raid on my refrigerator, where they were stored, was imminent. I could analyse that from the sporadic giggling sounds. And hence I asked hubby to help patrol the area as I prepared dinner in the kitchen. This resource could not be trusted completely though, given the heavy influence of the opposing troops on his emotions. But I gave him a benefit of doubt.

On and off, they kept approaching with their headstrong demand of first having a glass full of cola which gradually scaled down to a request for a sip. But negotiating on certain things was out of question, including this one. So, they retreated to their base and got engaged in another activity. All the while deceivingly giving an illusion that the cola bottles were now forgotten.

Meanwhile, I needed few ingredients from the market to prepare the meal. I had to leave my position for a while. Foolishly believing that cola bottles were not a target anymore and my own soldier had proven his loyalty towards me, I stepped out. 

Fifteen minutes later, I entered the house. Only to be greeted by a cola mayhem near the refrigerator! I thought that the opposing army had coerced my soldier with their sweet talk bombs and innocent smile bullets into surrendering a bottle and then pouring it into two big glasses for them. Poor guy would have been left with no choice given the power of these weapons. But to my horror, it was sabotage! It looked like the traitor was rejoicing with the other side with a cola filled glass of his own. Even though the three had defeated me, they somehow feared a retaliation from my end. 

I took one step forward and then another. I grabbed the three fourth empty cola bottle. They were almost expecting me to pour it down the drain. Instead, I poured it into a glass and said, "Truce it is!" 

I made them believe that I was no longer an enemy. And as they got engrossed in a victory dance, I craftily relocated the other untouched bottle from the refrigerator to a safe house unknown to them.

“The cola war is not over yet!”, I said to myself and got back to cooking.


Photo by Pixabay: https://www.pexels.com/photo/military-sniping-near-rock-163467/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On My Way To The Washroom..

  " Things get easier for parents as children grow older " - A debatable statement, I would say. But I can at least guarantee that things like relieving one's self, as and when one wishes, definitely gets easier! Well, let me explain this with an eight year old tale...  With two chirpy toddlers in the house, I have manipulated my body to send me to pee at strategic time slots. It still takes a lot of heart to leave them without an adult around for two whole minutes. But when my boastful master minding of self scheduled pee visits fail me, that walk to the washroom and back is no less than playing  kabaddi!  Interested in details?  The toddlers broke over a fight for a couple of dolls.  (Mind you, same colour, same size and same date of purchase from the same shop at the same time. Can someone please throw light on the non existent reason of that fight? ) I somehow managed to make them call a truce. Unlike every other day, I had to pee at this time of the afternoon ( Blame

A Saturday Morning Conversation

  I do not  disagree with people who say that we must try our best to engage in conversations with our toddler kids.  But let me give you a disclaimer : Sometimes, while doing that, you might find yourself at the far edge of sanity! ONE SATURDAY MORNING... I was running a list in my mind of things to be done that weekend. Me : "Shall we book the flights tickets for December now?" Hubby : "Yes. When should we go?" Me : "Uh, I think..." J : "Anita stays in Rainbow Towers!" This out of the blue ‘interesting’ fact was not of any relevance at that moment. Still, both of us acknowledged it with a halfhearted smile. Apparently, that was not enough. J : "Papaaaaa! I said that my friend, Anita, stays in Rainbow Towers!" Hubby : "Uh, okay. I did not know that." (With an expression saying ‘what did I miss’!) Me ( gesturing him to attend to his oldest girl first !) : "I think 24th should be good. Their holidays begin then. Che